Thursday, February 6, 2014

An It-Really-Happened-This-Way Christmas Story



Now I Understand

                The pile looked pathetically small upon my bed.  It was Christmas Eve and the pile of presents that I had collected together to give to my friends seemed lost on the old blanket.  I sat for a moment and reflected upon these few treasures that I had decided to pass on.  I was living at home and going to college at the time.  I had a job directing a youth theatre group for the city’s Parks and Recreation Department, but my salary barely paid for my bare bones truck and the gas to get to school.  Somehow money for Christmas presents wasn’t easy to come by this year.  I had spent what I had on my family and even then I knew that reactions were going to be mixed.  My grandparents would take whatever I gave them and treat it like it was gold, which is what they were to me, but I knew my younger brother wasn’t going to be impressed.  Instead of spending $5 each on my mother, stepfather, brother and half-sister, I had decided to get them a group gift.  It was a beautifully sculptured, multicolored candle.  The wax had been molded in different colored layers and then it had been skillfully sliced and twisted and twirled.  I liked it, but I had a feeling that my brother’s reaction was going to be something along the lines of, “Nice going cheapskate.  Can I burn my part now?”  He and I aren’t cut out of the same bolt of cloth.  To be truthful, there have been times when I wondered if we had indeed come from the same cloth factory, but I digress.  The core family presents had been acquired and wrapped and now I was dealing with friends.  It was Christmas and I felt that it was important, perhaps only to me, to give all of the people in the caroling group something to show that they were special to me.
            The caroling group had been created when I mentioned to my friend Mike, who was a year older than I, that I thought it would be neat to get our friends from the choir and the drama club at school together and create a group to sing. We decided to dress up in period Dickens costumes and carol at nursing homes during the holiday season. It sounds like a simple idea but it took a lot of time, researching costumes, finding where to buy top hats and tail coats, getting patterns for the girls’ outfits, getting the music, setting up the performances and rehearsing.  We all had the hang of it by this Christmas, though.  We had been caroling for three years.  We were quite proud of how far we had come.  In addition to singing in nursing homes, we sang downtown for Noel Night and appeared on TV a few times.  So there I was, an integral part of a fairly successful group of a dozen singers and I was scrambling to find gifts for them.  After much deliberation I made a decision.  I would give to my friends my most precious belongings.  I would find presents for them from what I had, but it had to be something that had special meaning to me.  If I didn’t want to keep it, it wasn’t considered worthy of being a present.  Now I was looking down at my little pile, realizing that I didn’t have a lot of cool stuff to pick from.  Time was wasting and there was much to do, so I started to wrap.  The last thing that I wrapped, the thing that I wanted to keep the most, was a little HO scale 4-4-0 steam train.  Now I know it doesn’t sound like much of a sacrifice but I had waited a long time to get that train.  For me it was filled with nostalgia and action-filled stories of the Old West and the Civil War.  It was going to be the beginning of a huge track layout that I was going to build some day.  It was going to have mountains and streams and bridges and buildings and…you get the idea.  My friend Mike had a huge train set-up in his parents’ basement.  It had multiple tracks and mountains and buildings.  His dad and his brothers had spent years building it.  All I had was my one locomotive and enough track to get it to run in a three foot circle.  I decided that my 4-4-0 (four leading wheels, four driving wheels, no trailing wheels) would live a long and happy life with Mike’s other trains and found a box that it would fit into.   
            Five o’clock was approaching fast and I gathered up my presents, my Christmas cards and my costume, got my coat on and headed over to my grandparent’s house for our traditional Christmas Eve meal.
            My grandparents lived in a house that they bought in 1942.  It was the house that I lived in as a child.  The upstairs was a separate flat from the main floor, with its own front door entrance and its own stairway to the basement.  The most unique aspect of their house was that it was a converted one-room schoolhouse that was built in 1870 and it had been moved twice!  It was dark and windy that night.  There was snow on the ground but it wasn’t very deep.  It was the kind of night where everything seemed quiet and crisp.  The flakes were fine and hard and skittered across the low snow mounds, driven by the wind.  The stars seemed particularly bright.  I parked my truck at the side of the house, carefully navigating the driveway and avoiding the driveway   guardians – four massive maple trees.  I grabbed my bundles and crunched up the stairs.  The rest of my family was already there and I could hear their muffled voices through the thick walls.  The windows glowed with the amber light of the electric candles placed there.  I entered the rear sun porch and stomped the snow off of my shoes.  It smelled like Christmas Eve.  There was the sound of sizzling steaks (my grandfather was the master chef) and the aroma of baked macaroni and cheese. (Na Na’s specialty)  The family was milling around in the front living room, admiring the tree and taking note of the names on the presents beneath the tree.  Most of them were for my grandparents but there were always a couple more to open for the kids – like me!  Even at the age of twenty-one, I was still one of the kids.  I added my tiny package to the pile.  The snacks were being attacked with enthusiasm.  My grandmother always put out special treats for the holidays - chocolates and hard candies. 
It seems like so long ago as I write about them now.  My grandfather was in his seventies and had a small moustache and curly red hair that started quite high on his forehead.  This didn’t bother him because most of the men he knew had white hair and foreheads that extended all the way to the back of their heads.  He always wore glasses and liked to smoke cigars, not large ones but smaller, more discreet ones.  Thankfully, he didn’t do it all the time but, to be honest, as much as I hate the smell of cigars, I’d welcome the smell of his now if he came with it.  Early in his life he had been a successful purchaser for the Ford Products Company.  Unfortunately, that company was absorbed into Ford and he was let go at the age of 50.  He eventually found a job as the head custodian at our local junior high school.  My grandmother was an energetic and strong-willed woman who was, for the most part, generous and supportive.  I say for the most part because one of the traits that she picked up from being a nurse was to be honest, and brutal is sometimes a word that can be linked with honest.  If she believed you were right, then heaven help the person who crossed her and told her that you were wrong.  She had broken her back while lifting a patient several years before and had made a complete recovery.  It takes a special person with a special spouse to recover from such a life-altering event.  She did it and if you had ever met her you wouldn’t have been surprised.  The nursing home where she broke her back had tried to deny that she had done it at work.  Well, they had made a mistake.  They tried to cheat the wrong person.  She was celebrating Christmas and the nursing home that couldn’t be trusted was long out of business, with a little legal help on my grandparent’s part.  They lived a simple, pleasant life and their main pleasures seemed to be each other, their flowerbeds and their holiday gatherings.
            The moment of truth had come.  We were invited to the dinner table, which, now that I think of it, wasn’t really the dinner table.  We all gathered around the kitchen table, a red plastic and chrome masterpiece from the 1940’s.  Its most distinguishing feature was a metal tray located under the table where the legs came together.  This was a fabulous place to hide unwanted food items until they could be disposed of later.  We didn’t use the formal dining table in the dining room.  We preferred to cuddle knee to knee around the breakfast table in the kitchen.  You would think that it would be crowded with my grandparents, my mother, my stepfather, my brother, my half-sister and myself, but it really wasn’t.  You see my stepfather didn’t come to these gatherings, so that made more room.  He liked to mix his holidays with a stiff shot of anger and alcohol, which always kept things interesting.  By trade he was a carpenter, so you would think that he enjoyed putting things together.  As I recall, he seemed to be better at busting stuff up during this time.  I remember with regret the year when he didn’t speak to my mother or the rest of us (year being a length of time and not a general reference).  And then there was that Christmas when he opened his presents, at my half-sister’s insistence, that following spring.  But again I digress and these are other, less pleasant stories.
            The meal was fabulous.  It wasn’t the type of meal that everyone had for Christmas but that was OK with us.  We feasted on thick T-bone steaks, which had been purchased at the only place in the neighborhood that was anywhere near as old as my grandparent’s house; a very old family market complete with a butcher and his block in the back.  I still remember the fellow.  He was very helpful and cheerful but old, and looked it, with veins showing in his thin hands and a couple of missing teeth.  The grocery store still stands, but it’s been converted into a rubber boat store for years now.  Over twenty years ago we were eating those steaks.  I didn’t realize how special those days were when I was living them.
             After dinner it was our tradition to retire to the living room and await the opening of the presents.  My grandfather would always sit on the floor near the tree and pass out the gifts.  He used his pocketknife to cut the ribbons, tapes and strings, all the while smiling from ear to ear.  My grandmother would be supervising the event from her rocking chair located near the furnace grid.  Most people probably don’t know what a furnace grid is.  The house was heated by what they called a gravity furnace.  The furnace didn’t have any ductwork to speak of and was located in the basement between the living room and the dining room.  Above the furnace was a thirty-inch square metal grating.  This meant that when the furnace kicked in, a blast of hot air shot up into the main floor of the house.  The downside was that the back of the house became really cold in the winter – ice in the corners of the room cold.  One amusing aspect of this type of heating was watching the ladies in their dresses poof up like Hershey kisses when the furnace was on.  Usually, at this point in the event my mind was charting my flight path for the evening.  You see, with the creation of the caroling group I had instituted a personal Christmas Eve tradition, I began delivering my Christmas cards to my friends dressed as Santa Claus.  The costume matched my bright red truck perfectly and I enjoyed the moment of realization when the kids in the cars around me figured out that it was Santa on the road with them on Christmas Eve.  There were many smiling moments.  My grandmother had sewn the costume without the benefit of a pattern.  Working with me she had a customer who was almost as big a perfectionist as herself.  The suit had the usual trousers and overcoat but also included a vest for that North Pole sporty, indoor look.  At the time I needed padding.  Since then God has seen fit to make me need much less.   Anyway, the gifts were being sorted out and my grandmother was making sure that each individual piece of wrapping paper was being carefully removed for future use.  The preferred method of removal was cutting the tape.  After the holidays she would actually iron the paper for use the following year.  It’s funny how I recall seeing the same paper patterns year after year on        progressively smaller packages.  I can’t specifically remember what I got my grandparents that year.  The most marvelous thing about them is that it didn’t matter.  I could’ve made them an ink stamp out of an old potato and they would’ve loved it, and I loved them for that.
            After the gifts were opened and we listened to a couple of Christmas carols played on my mother’s old upright piano, it was time for me to excuse myself and adjourn to the bathroom to begin the Santa transformation.  About a half-hour later I would emerge, to the immense joy of my grandmother.  Then there would be a picture or two taken and I’d hug them and be off on my yearly mission.
            This year I started on my rounds with more trepidation than ever before.  I was concerned about how my gifts would be received.  I hoped for the best, arranged my cards in order of delivery, and backed out of the driveway.
            Traffic on Christmas Eve was never very heavy.  Families were all bundled up in their best clothes and off to some friend or relative’s house.  The kids were often dozing in the back seat and didn’t usually notice me   unless we were both stopped at a stoplight.  Then things would get interesting and energetic.  Their faces would light up and they would start waving wildly.  I always enjoyed that part.  And so, lost in thought, I puttered up and down the side streets to my various destinations.  More than half of my cards and presents were delivered to empty houses.  At the houses where people were home the reactions were usually the same.  I would pull up and park at the curb, jump out and run up to the door.  After ringing the doorbell I would usually hear something like “I wonder who that could be?” and a face would appear at the window of the door.  This was usually followed by an, “Oh my God, it’s Santa.  Come on in Santa!”  I would then be ushered into a family gathering of varying size and all the folks would be very glad to see Santa, and the little kids wouldn’t know what to make of the situation.  The parents would usually announce to the wee ones that they had asked Santa to stop by, even though they were often as surprised as the kids.  There would be a lot of “Ho, ho, hoing,” and a lot of hand shaking.  After a few loud and raucous moments I would get my friend alone and give them their Christmas card and present.  They would thank me for the card and for coming by and then would tear open the present.  The girls were much better at masking their reactions than the boys were.  The small collection of trinkets and figurines that I had received as presents over the years were somehow not seen in the same light by their new owners.  Now, having been in the drama club and having lived in two alcoholic households, I had long ago learned to sense a person’s mood by their body language.  This is a survival technique in certain families.  I recall a certain skillet, still plugged into the wall and full of hot goulash, that unexpectedly became a projectile one winter’s evening.  That ability to sense moods had alerted me to be on the other side of the kitchen at that instant.  The floor and the ceiling weren’t paying attention and they still bear the scars of their mistake.  My dear friends seemed to take immediate notice of the lack of fresh packaging.  I sensed that without the original boxes, my presents were viewed as little more than my cleaning out of my closet.  I quickly said my good-byes at each home and hurried on to the next, all the while hoping that I had been mistaken and that I was just being overly sensitive.  Somehow the night seemed colder and the squeals of the children in the nearby cars seemed much farther away.  I continued on my way and, much to my dismay, the pattern seemed to repeat itself.  Everyone seemed happy to see my whiskered face, except that by the end of the evening I was beginning to wonder if they had any real feelings for the face underneath.
            As had become the habit of the night over the past couple of years, I reserved going to Mike’s house for last.  Several of the carolers were family or very close family friends and would be at his large family gathering.  I pulled down his street and parked as close as I could to his house.  Before getting out of the truck I gathered the few cards and presents that were left.  For a fleeting moment I was struck by the fact that there was nothing left upon the seat.  I was giving the last of Christmas away.  The event started much like all the others, only much more so.  There were more people, more children, and much more excitement.  My entrance, being for the most part expected, drew a big crowd of little people.  This was Santa’s annual visit.  There were just a few minutes to spare before Santa had to get back to work.  I handed Mike his card and present and he became my very jovial tour guide.  It was time to say hello to everybody.  The kids trailed behind and all wanted to get a picture on Santa’s knee.  After the kids were done the adults wanted to get pictures.  Everyone was having a special moment, but I felt oddly detached.  After a little small talk, I ended up in the basement where some of the food was.  I was familiar with this basement.  We held our caroling practices there.  Adjoining the central area at the foot of the stairs was Mike’s brother’s bedroom.  I had always admired his bedroom furniture.  In my room under the stairs I had half of a bunk bed to call my own and a bedroom only 6’ wide.  Sam, Mike’s younger brother, enjoyed the pleasures of a family heirloom, an elaborately carved, black walnut, too-tall-for-the-basement-so-it-had-to-be-shortened, Victorian bedroom set.  I try not to give in to jealousy but I have to admit that Mike’s family had a couple of things that I wouldn’t have minded having.  Everyone there seemed to actually like being around each other.  Their dad was very supportive of everything that they did, and of course, there was the family HO railroad set up at the other end of the basement.  I couldn’t really imagine what it was like building it.  I couldn’t really imagine working with one’s dad on anything.  I had heard Sam and Mike talk about the track layout over the years and it always intrigued me that they were all contributing to it.  I sneaked a peak at the track.  It was covered by a couple of sheets for it was not allowed to get dusty.  I thought that my 4-4-0 would work great with the layout.  I had high hopes.  I had confidence that Mike would be able to see that my train wasn’t just an old toy; it was something special.  If he looked closely, surely he would notice that the paint was pristine.  All in all it had only chugged about 30’ on my little circular track.  Other than not being in the original box, it was brand new.  Eventually the party quieted down and the kids got used to Santa munching on a cookie in the corner.  I found Mike and said that I should get going.  I reminded him about the present.  He found it on the table near the front door and opened it.  I watched his face very carefully.  He smiled, thanked me for the card and the present, and led me to the door.  It was a very pleasant exchange.  If it weren’t for the fact that he had looked puzzled for a moment and had dropped the box on the table with a little too much indifference, I never would’ve suspected…oh, yes I would’ve.  The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.  As I looked back at my train lying on the table, I had an intense urge to step back in and grab it.  I felt that it would probably not be used with infinite childish joy on the winding track in the basement, as I had imagined.  I felt very sad, but it is hardly good manners to grab a person that you have just given a present to by the shirt collar and explain to them that they have just received something of personal importance and not a piece of junk!  Mike thanked me again and wished me a Merry Christmas.  The closing door made the empty night seem unnaturally quiet.  Inside, people were making merry, and Santa was feeling out of sorts.  It was rather late but I decided to mull things over for a while and went for an extended drive.
            I drove down the side street and onto the main road.  The evening was mine alone it seemed.  The streets were almost completely empty.  There weren’t any cherub faces squashed up against car windows to ease my feelings of isolation.  I imagined that most parents had already tucked their children into bed and were waiting for the right moment to bring out the gifts and pack them under the tree.  The stockings were being stuffed with candies and tiny toys.  The children dreamt of piles of packages and the myriad joys inside.  In their simple lives their greatest worry was that they’d get too many articles of clothing and not enough “cool” stuff.  Everything was as it should be, except in my own heart.  Eventually, I found myself driving slowly down the road by the lake.
            The mansions lining the side of the lake were twinkling with more lights than I could possibly count.  The preferred color seemed to be white.  Occasionally, I would pass a house with an assortment of colors, but for the most part the lights were white.  They were laced through the bushes and up into the tall trees.  They were strung upon the eaves and up the sides of the driveways.  They outlined the windows and illuminated the porches.  They warmed up everything in sight except my mood.  With the best of intentions I had set myself up for disappointment on the most important night of the year.  I had planned and prepared to bring as much Christmas joy as I could to those in my life and I felt oddly empty.  The engine turning over and the crunching of the brittle snow were all that could be heard.  I thought about how much I had given of myself, and what high hopes I had had.  I thought about how much the gifts had meant to me, and how now they were all gone.  I thought about how the seat next to me was empty.  I had received during my journey not one card or present.  I thought about how everyone had loved Santa’s visit, but didn’t seem all that interested in who was under the beard.  I thought and I thought and I thought and as I was turning around to go home it dawned on me.  God had given his best present Christmas morning and He probably would’ve liked the world to say “Thank you” too.  On second thought, God wouldn’t need to be thanked.  He gave his son, a piece of his own heart, out of love, and I should do the same, without regret and without looking for a reward.
           
            Now I understand.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment